Why should you become a Member?
As a Member of NIMC you will make a direct contribution to preserving our local heritage. Your membership fees support the acquisition of artefacts by museums through the NIMC Acquisition Fund. Also members take pride in supporting in an organisation committed to preserving the heritage of Northern Ireland for this and future generations.
As a Member of NIMC, you will receive:
- Complimentary copies of 'Museum Beat', our monthly newsletter which keep you up to date with news, events, activities, training opportunities and jobs from around the country.
- Advantageous discounted rates for our training courses.
- Free access to the NIMC Library.
- Invitations to special events organised by NIMC.
- Access to the 'Members Only' section of the NIMC website where you will find advice, guidance and links to a host of museum related topics and websites.
- Access to 'Members Forum' notes
- Email notification of news, events, funding opportunities and jobs in the sector.
NIMC can also provide its members with free facilities for meetings at its offices in Holywood.
Types of Membership
NIMC offers three types of Membership:
Museum Members - This is open to museums in Northern Ireland that have obtained either full or provisional Accreditated Museum status. In addition to the standard membership benefits, Museum Member may apply for grant aid from NIMC and have access to high quality information and advice services.
Supporting Members - All local authorities in Northern Ireland including those operating non-Accredited museums or providing support for independent museums may apply for this class of membership.The benefits are the same as for Museum Members, although eligibility for grant-aid is limited to support for feasibility studies into the establishment of partnership museum services.
Associate Members - Associate Membership is open to individuals, non-Accredited museums, and any other organisation or body that wishes to subscribe to the values and objectives of the Northern Ireland Museums Council.
The following annual fees apply:
|For museums with a turnover up to £25,000 per year||£100/year|
|For museums with a turnover of £25,000 - £75,000 per year||£200/year|
|For museums with a turnover over £75,000 per year||£300/year|
|Corporations and Institutions||£100/year|
How to become an NIMC Member
You can apply for NIMC Membership by filling in the application below. In completing the form, and submitting it, NIMC understands that you have read and understand the following Terms and Conditions:
- You are applying for membership of the Northern Ireland Museums Council, subject to its Memorandum & Articles of Association.
- You undertake to pay on demand such annual fees due for this and any succeeding year, and to provide at least six months’ notice in writing of your intention to resign from membership.
- You will undertake to contribute to the assets of the Council, to an amount not exceeding £1.00 sterling, in the event of its being wound up while you are still a member, or within one year after you cease to be a member, for the payments of the debts and liabilities of the Council contracted before you ceased to be a member, and of the costs, charges and expenses of winding up, and for the adjustment of the members, and of the costs of, charges and expenses of winding up, and for the adjustment of the contributors among themselves.
Applications for membership are received throughout the year. When an application is received it is put forward for consideration at the next scheduled quarterly Board meeting. Only following Board approval does the organisation/individual become a member.